Following is the process to access the general settings −
Step 1 − Click on Settings -> General option in WordPress.
Step 2 − The Writing Setting page is displayed as shown below.
Below are the details of the fields on writing settings page.
- Default Post Category− It is a category to be used for a post and you can leave it as Uncategorized.
- Default Post Format− It is used by themes such as(standard, Aside, chat,gallery,link, image, quote, status, video, audio) to select post format to be applied to a post or for different types of posts it create different styles.
- Post via e-mail− This option uses e-mail address to create posts and publishes it on your blog by using e-mail. To use this, you’ll need to set up a secret e-mail account with a POP3 access, and any mail that received at this address will be posted.
- Mail Server− It use to read the e-mails that you send to WordPress and stores them for retrieval. This need to have POP3 compatible mail server. It will have URI address such as mail.example1.com, which you should enter here.
- Login Name− To create new posts, WordPress will need its own e-mail account. The Login Name will uses e-mail address and should be kept secret as spammers will post links redirecting to their own websites.
- Password– It sets the password for the above e-mail address.
- Default Mail Category− It used for selecting custom category for all the posts that are published in wordpress via Post by e-mail feature used.
- Update Services− When you want to publish a new post, WordPress will automatically notify the site update services in the box. Update Services contains the codex for the long list of possible services.
Step 3 − After filling all the information, then click on Save Changes button to save the information.