Step 1 − Click on Settings → Discussion option in WordPress.
Below fields are seen in Discussion settings.
Step 2 − The Discussion Settings page is displayed as shown below.
- Default article settings− This settings are default to new pages or new posts that have created. It contains three more settings. They are below−
- Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article− It sends a notification (sends pings and trackback) to other blogs when you publish articles.
- Allow link notifications from other blogs − It accepts pings from other blogs.
- Allow people to post comments on new articles– By using this setting, you can give permission or not to people to comment on your article using this setting.
You can change the settings as per the individual articles.
- Other Comment Settings− This setting contains the following options −
- Comment author must fill out name and e-mail− When you click on this box, it required for visitors to fill their name and email address.
- Users must be registered and logged in to comment− If you click to this box, only those registered visitors can leave comments, if not clicked anyone can leave any number of comments.
- Automatically close comments on articles older than days− This box allows you to accept comments only for a given time period as per your wish.
- Enable threaded (nested) comments− When you Click on this option, visitors can give reply or have a discussion and get responses.
- Break comments into pages with top level comments per page and the page displayed by default− If your pages are getting a lot of comments then you can divide them into different pages by checking this box.
- Comments should be displayed with the comments at the top of each page− You can set the comments in the form of ascending or descending order.
- Email me whenever− This setting have two options, namely −
- Anyone posts a comment− When you click into this box, the author receives an e-mail for every single comment that is posted.
- A comment is held for moderation− This is used when you do not want your comment to be updated before it modify by the admin.
- Before a comment appears− There are two more settings as followed −
- Comment must be manually approved− If you click into this box then only the approved comments by the admin can be displayed on the posts or pages.
- Comment author must have a previously approved comment− This can be clicked when you want to approve a comment of an author whose commented and his e-mail address matches the e-mail address of the previous posted comment. Otherwise the comment is held for moderation.
- Comment Moderation– It contains only a specific number of links that are allowed into a comment.
- Comment Blacklist− You can set your own spam words which you do not want to enter into the comments by the visitors, URL, e-mail etc.; after that it would filter the comments.
Avatars − There are three more settings as followed
- Avatar Display− It shows your avatar besides your name when it is clicked.
- Maximum rating− The G, PG, R and X. All these are age section where you select according to which type of audience you want to display your posts.
- Default Avatar− In this option, there are few more different types of avatars with different images; you can use these avatars according to your visitors e-mail address.
Step 3 − Click on Save Changes button to save all the changes of Discussion page.